We are proud to announce the first stable release for the 1.8 series of Xibo. The codename for this series is “Tempel”.
Please use the links below to download this release:
You may use any 1.8 series compatible Player with this release.
The CMS can be upgraded to later versions - we recommend all users upgrade when possible to take advantage of the latest bug fixes and features. Please refer to the upgrade guide.
It has taken us a little over 18 months to bring you this major feature release of Xibo, below are some of the things you can expect:
- Installation: Docker deployments
- Installation: Step by Step Upgrade Wizard
- Layouts and Content: Layout Designer improvements, including a new toolbar
- Layouts and Content: Add audio to Widgets
- Layouts and Content: Layout Import/Export handles DataSets
- Layouts and Content: Add some extra fonts as standard
- Layouts and Content: New Widgets, including Stocks, Currencies, HLS, PDF, Metro Twitter, Google Traffic, Audio
- Displays: Push messaging
- Displays: Scheduled and Immediate shell commands
- Displays: RS232 commands
- Displays: Dynamic and Nested Display Groups
- Schedule: Dayparting and “always” schedules
- Schedule: Agenda View
- Schedule: Recurring Events without an end date
- Internationalisation: Support for custom date formats
- Internationalisation: Displays in different timezones
- User and Permissions: Changing ownership of items
- User and Permissions: SAML support for single sign on
- User and Permissions: Announcement system
- Extending and Troubleshooting: API for 3rd party integrations
- Extending and Troubleshooting: Code improvements to enable better customisation of code (Middleware and Modules)
- Extending and Troubleshooting: Overhaul auditing and logging
- Extending and Troubleshooting: PHPUnit Test Suite
- Extending and Troubleshooting: Documentation improvements
- 389 closed issues
Our recommended configuration 1.8 series will be based on Docker. If you would like to try 1.8.0 by upgrading your existing 1.7 installation, we recommend switching to Docker. Please refer to the switching to Docker upgrade guide.
Changes to Docker
If you have used Docker in our alpha/beta releases we have removed launcher in favour of Docker Compose. Docker Compose supports a wider variety of platforms and is the official Docker implementation.
This means that upgrading from any 1.8 release to 1.8.0-rc3 will require the following additional steps:
- ./launcher stop
- Take a backup of your DATA_DIR, launcher and launcher.env
- ./launcher destroy
- Replace the contents of your Docker files with the new release archive for 1.8.0-rc3
- Copy config.env.template as config.env
- Open both launcher.env and config.env in your preferred text editor
- Transfer CMS_DATABASE_PASSWORD from launcher.env to MYSQL_PASSWORD in config.env
- docker-compose up
This series contains new features relating to the communication between the CMS and the Players. To use this release you must use Xibo for Windows 1.8.0 or later or Xibo for Android R58 or later.
Windows Player CEF
The 1.7 series contained experimental support for CEF browser integration. This has been removed in the 1.8 release due to stability issues. In 1.8 you will not be able to use CEF as an alternative rendering engine.
We are working towards a new cross platform player which will replace this
Windows player and will also support Ubuntu. This development can be tracked
on our community forum.
Windows Player XMR Key
This release contains changes to how the Players RSA key for XMR is stored, as a result it is necessary to "Re-key" the Player after upgrading. Effects 1.8 Players only, that means alpha, beta and release candidates before rc3.
To do this, after upgrade, log into the CMS Displays Page, find the Display, click Edit. Go to the advanced tab, tick "re-key" and save. XMR push messaging will not function until these steps have been taken.
Xibo in the Cloud
1.8.0 is available on Xibo in the Cloud in all of our locations!
We would like to take this opportunity to say a big Thank You to everyone involved in the Xibo Project Community. We couldn’t release Xibo without the help we get from people who purchased from Spring Signage, reported bugs, submitted patches or donated money.
We have big plans for the future, so please sign up on our community, subscribe to our RSS or follow us on Twitter or Facebook.
Read more from the blog
Read more from the blog