On this page
Playlists contain a timeline of ordered content which can be created directly on a Layout as a one time assignment using the Playlist Widget or created and managed independently for further re-use across multiple Layouts from the Playlists page.
- Use to create a ‘slide-show’ of content.
- Define ordering of items.
- Includes a timeline to show how the sequence of content will play.
- Create a Playlist of content directly on a Layout as a one time assignment.
- Create a re-usable list of content independently to Layouts.
- Preload media to be shown at a later date/time with Widget Expiry Dates.
Creating a re-usable Playlist
Streamline resources and save time by creating Playlists to hold multiple items of content which can be used across multiple Layouts. Create Playlists to target and collate content for specific requirements, locations, categories etc.
Playlists that are created and therefore managed independently to Layouts, do not require further user access to Layouts or the Layout Editor to add or manage content. Any changes made to a Playlist will be updated in all Layouts/Schedules that contain that Playlist.
Select Playlists under the Library section of the main CMS menu.
- Select the Add Playlist button and complete the form fields:
- Give your Playlist a Name for easy identification in the CMS and include optional Tags.
Dynamically adding Media
Playlists have a Dynamic option to automatically assign Library Media files based on set criteria:
- Once ticked, click on the Filter tab and set the required criteria in order to populate matching Library Media.
- Provide a maximum number of Library Media files which can be automatically assigned.
Media already in the Library that matches the criteria set will be shown:
Any future media files that are added to the Library that satisfy the set criteria for this Playlist will be automatically added to this list.
- Click to Save your dynamic Playlist.
Saving the form without the Dynamic option selected or when adding the Playlist Widget to a Layout, the Playlist Editor will open to manually add content:
- From the Toolbar, add Widgets / Library Media to the Playlist Editor.
- Configuration options will load in the properties panel.
The duration will update to show the minutes/seconds as items are added to the Playlist.
- Re-order the sequence by drag and drop.
Click the ruler icon to Change Scale mode:
Use the scale options to zoom in and out to decrease/increase the visible time span.
Items can be added to a specific point in the list, drag or click to add content to a position marker within the Playlist.
An additional Context Menu of options can be accessed by right clicking on an item.
Use the Select Multiple Widgets button at the bottom of the Playlist Editor to delete multiple selections with one click:
Use the X to close the Playlist Editor and return to the Playlist grid.
The Playlist Editor contains two Widgets that are only available for use with Playlists:
Rich Text Editor
Use the inline editor to enter text and apply formatting:
Enter text or HTML.
Optionally select a Background Colour to use.
Select an Effect to use from the dropdown menu.
Include a Speed for the selected effect.
Include a selector to use for stacking marquee items in a line when scrolling left/right.
Use the Spacer to create an empty ‘slot’ within a Playlist.
Widget Expiry Dates
Items added to a Playlist have an additional option of setting Start and End times.
- Widget Expiry Dates
- Available from CMS: 2.0
- Widget Expiry Dates 2.0
Right click on an item in a Playlist to Edit Expiry Dates or set when uploading media directly to a Playlist.
Selecting Upload new from a Library Search will have an additional Set Expiry Date option:
When uploading multiple media files, clicking the Start upload button will upload all files with the same date/time and Folder location set.
Items can also be uploaded individually using the blue upload button at the end of the row for a file to have different set Expiry Dates and Folder locations for each file uploaded.
Items on a Playlist that have expiry dates set will include an icon for easy identification:
- Start date has been set for a date/time in the future.
- Expiry date has been set.
- On expiry the item will be deleted from the list.
- Expired item but will remain on the Playlist to view in the Playlist Editor timeline.
- Click on an icon in the Playlist Editor to open to make any changes/remove.
Set Playlist Transitions for items on a Playlist.
Applied defaults can be overridden for Layouts by unticking the box in the properties panel.
Playlists created from the Playlists grid have a row menu where Users can access a list of actions/shortcuts.
- Notable settings are listed below:
Select to make changes to manually assigned content of a Playlist using the Playlist Editor.
For Dynamic Playlists use the Filter tab to view the list of dynamically assigned media and to make changes to criteria.
Select to change any details of a Playlist record (Manual or Dynamic) such as the Name, Tags etc.
View where Playlists are being shown and what Layouts they have been added to.
Directly Schedule a Playlist to be shown full screen on Displays.