On this page
Creating a Schedule
Schedules are created from the Schedule page of the main CMS menu.
Users can create one of the following:
- Schedule Event using the Add Event button
- Synchronised Event using the Add Synchronised Event button
- Click on the Add Event button at the top of the schedule grid to open the Schedule Event form and start by selecting the Event Type to schedule.
The CMS supports scheduling for the following types:
Select a published Layout
Select a Command to be executed by the Player at a specific point in time.
Layouts that have been designed as an Overlay Layout will be scheduled at the same time as existing Layouts to create an overlay of content when displayed.
An Interrupt Layout will schedule a selected Layout to play in-between other Layouts in the ‘usual schedule’.
Xibo will work out when it will be played using how many seconds per hour or as a Percentage entered on the schedule.
- Interrupt Layouts
- Available from CMS: 2.2
- Interrupt Layouts 2.2
- Select Interrupt Layout as the Event Type from the drop down menu when adding an Event.
- Complete the form fields to create the schedule.
Share of Voice
Enter the amount of time the Layout should be shown in seconds per hour or as a percentage (0 - 100%) of the events duration (the difference between the from date and the to date) that the Interrupt Layout should occupy the usual schedule.
Select a Layout List Campaign
Scheduled Actions listen for a Trigger Code coming in on a webhook to Navigate to a Layout or to run a Command.
- Scheduled Action Events
- Available from CMS: 3.1
- Scheduled Action Events 3.1
- Navigate to Layout - enter the code identifier for the Layout the Player should navigate to when triggered. This code is created when adding a new Layout or from editing an existing from the Layouts grid.
- Command - select the Command to run.
- Complete the form fields to create the Schedule.
Clicking Choose from the Media/Playlist field will show a pop up:
Use the drop down menu to select the Media file or Playlist to use.
On Saving, further options will be shown:
- Video/Image files only: Override the Media duration set in the Library by providing a Duration in loop.
- Select a specific Resolution to use.
- Set a Background Colour to fill any gaps if the item does not fill the entire screen.
- Sync Events
- Available from CMS: 4.0
- Sync Events 4.0
Ensure you have created and configured a Sync Group prior to scheduling!
Click on the Add Synchronised Event button at the top of the schedule grid to open the Add Synchronised Event form.
Select a Sync Group from the drop down menu.
- Use the Layout drop down to select which content should be shown on each Display within the group.
The Lead Display will issue instructions to change the sequence based on its assigned content. Please bear in mind that other Displays within the group could fall out of sync if their content is not similar in design (same number of items, durations etc).
- Select Mirror to automatically set the same item on each Display within the group automatically.
- Events are scheduled using Dayparting information:
- Select Custom to enter your own start and end times. Use the Relative time checkbox to input the Hours and Minutes when creating a Scheduled Event (not available for Synchronised Events).
- Select Always to have the content always scheduled on the selected Display.
- Use the drop down to select what needs to be scheduled from the list.
- Use Display Order to determine the order in which the event will play in rotation with other content when scheduled at the same time as other events. Ordering is a simple numerical sort, lowest to highest numbers (events marked with 1 will be played before events marked with 2.)
- Set the Priority of an Event with 0 considered the lowest Priority.
Events of the same Event Type with the highest number will play in preference to lower numbers.
A good example to use Priority would be in a way to alter the scheduling of a loop of Layouts at a specific time. For example, a normal rotation of Layouts during the day with a Priority Event at lunchtime which shows specific ‘lunch’ information (i.e. Lunchtime specials on a cafe menu).
If a Player had a schedule containing Events of the same Event Type which were all Priority 0, then all of the Events will be shown in rotation together.
If 1 of these Events had a Priority of 1, then this would be the only Event shown.
If there were some Events with Priority 0, some with Priority 1 and some with Priority 2 only the Priority 2 Events will be shown, in a rotation for that Scheduled period (as the highest Priority)
Maximum Plays per Hour
- Max Plays per Hour
- Available from CMS: 3.3
- Max Plays per Hour 3.3
- Set a number to limit the amount of times this Event is shown per hour on Displays.
Leave as the default 0 for unlimited plays.
Run at CMS time
- Select this option to play the Event at the time determined by the CMS rather than using the local Display time.
- CMS Time = GMT
- Display 1 = GMT
- Display 2 = GMT -4
An event scheduled for 11:00 with Run at CMS time deselected will show on Display 1 at 11:00 and Display 2 at 11:00. These two displays will not show the same content at the same time, because display 2 is 4 hours behind.
With Run at CMS time selected, Display 1 will show at 11:00 as before but Display 2 will run at 07:00.
Rather than creating numerous schedules to ensure that your content is shown, Events can be configured to Repeat Per Minute, Hourly, Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Yearly.
- From the Repeats tab, use the drop down to select the type of Repeat.
- Determine the Repeat frequency by entering a number here.
Monthly Repeats can be configured by the Event date or by which day in the month the Event falls on. For example, an Event which is scheduled on Saturday 15/07/2023 can be set to Repeat every month on the 3rd Saturday.
- Until controls when the Repeat should finish.
Recurring Events can be removed from the Schedule in their entirety or by individual recurrence:
- Select Delete at the bottom of the Schedule form to completely remove all instances of the Recurring Event.
- From the [Calendar] view, click on the Recurring Event by date:
The instance details will be clearly shown at the bottom of the form:
- Click Delete from Schedule to remove only this instance from scheduling. All other instances will remain scheduled.
Create a set of Reminders to be sent to the Notification Center or emailed.
- From the Reminder tab, use the form fields to define a reminder. Use the
+icon to add additional rows if required.
- Tick the box to send an email to the address set for your User Profile.
Use the checkbox to make this Event location aware. Further information can be found at Geo Scheduling
Edit / Delete
Make changes to Events from the Schedule grid or Calendar view. Further information can be found at Schedule Management
The Duplicate button at the bottom of the Schedule form allows for event details to be easily duplicated and configured to create new Events.