On this page
Folders can be used throughout the CMS to easily control User/User Group Share options for all items held within a specific Folder. Folders also provides an additional way to organise and locate user objects within the CMS.
- Easily control and maintain View/Edit/Delete access for all user objects saved to a Folder.
- Used throughout the CMS.
- Assign Folders to new Users from the on-boarding wizard.
- Set a Home Folder for Users.
- Force saving into a selected Folder.
- Control User access to Folder options.
- Dedicated Folders page for easier management.
Available from multiple grids throughout the CMS, the Folder tree will first open by default and can be toggled off from view by clicking on the folder icon:
When a Folder has been selected, the grid will update to show only objects inside the Folder.
Users can have a set Home Folder (indicated by a House icon) which will allow full access to their own Media, Layouts, Schedules etc. and access to all other ‘shared’ Folder content.
Saving to Folders
Items can be saved to folders from Add/Edit forms and from an items row menu using Select Folder to open the Folder tree.
Move and Merge Folders
Folders can be moved to another Folder location to be added as a Sub-Folder:
- Select the Folder
- Right click and select Move
- Highlight the Folder destination to move to
The Folder and any contained sub-folders will now be moved as a new sub-folder within the new Folder location maintaining the original Folder structure.
You can also select the Merge option to add the original Folder contents to the main Folder location, with the original Folder being deleted from the Folder tree.
A Folders page is located under the Administration section of the main CMS menu to allow Super Admins to manage all aspects of Folders (right click a Folder to access the context menu) as well as see detailed information about Folders such as who it has been shared with and a breakdown of its contents!
Create Folders to hold Library Media, DataSets, Playlists, Layouts, Campaigns, Templates, Displays and Display Groups which are then accessed from multiple Grids by clicking the Folder icon to open the Folder Tree:
- Right click the Root Folder and select Create to add a new Folder to the tree.
- Further menu options are available to Create a sub-folder, Rename, Remove Share and Move Folders:
Admins are encouraged to assign User Groups to their Users, and then use Folder Sharing to give these Users appropriate access to each other’s content (View/Edit/Delete options can be configured).
Users can always select their Home Folder and the Root Folder from the Folder Tree.
A Users Home Folder is shown to them in the Folder Tree with a house icon. If a Folder is not selected, or the Folders Feature has been disabled, new content will automatically save into the Home Folder.
Assign Home Folders for Users (Admins / Group Admins)
For an existing User:
- Go to Users under the Administration section of the main CMS menu.
- Use the row menu for the User and select Edit.
- Click on the Home Folder tab:
- Select a Folder to use, or right click the Root Folder to create a new Folder.
Users with a Home Folder assigned will have full access to their own Media, Layouts, Schedules etc, and access to all other Folder contents as per the Share options set for their Home Folder.
Force Saving to a Folder
Super Admins can prevent Users from saving into the Root Folder which forces them to select a Folder before saving. First disable the use of the Root Folder as a default:
- Navigate to Settings under the Administration section of the main CMS menu.
- Click on the Sharing tab:
- Untick Allow saving in the root folder option.
- Click the Save button at the bottom.
For Users to see other Users content, it must be shared with them (Direct Sharing - individual items must be shared). Users can also see other Users content if the Folder has been shared with them (Folder Sharing - multiple items inherit the shared options).
Each folder can have Share options set for Users/User Groups by clicking on Share from the menu.
- Select from the list of Users and User Groups (User Groups are shown in bold) and assign View, Edit and Delete options as required for the selected folder.
Once Share options have been set for a folder, all objects contained or moved to that folder will inherit the View, Edit, Delete options that have been enabled for Users/User Groups.
Please Note: Sub-Folders added to a Main Folder will inherit any applied Share options from the Main Folder. When viewing Sub-Folders only the directly assigned Share options will be shown, inherited options are not shown.
As shown above:
- The Main Folder is shared with
- Sub 1 will inherit from the Main Folder so is also shared with
Not Sharedis shown as Sub 1 has no directly applied Share options.
Folder Menu Options
Control the required access of the Folder Menu for other Users/User Groups using Features and Share options:
For Users that need access to Create on the Folders menu:
- Enable Allow users to create Sub-Folders…. from the Content tab of the Folders Feature set.
- Enable View from the Share options for the parent folders(s) that can have sub-folders created under them by the User/User Group.
For Users that need access to Rename on the Folders menu:
- Enable Rename and Delete existing folders from the Content tab on the Folders Feature set.
- Enable Edit from the Share options for the folder(s) that can be renamed by the User/User Group.
For Users that need access to Delete on the Folders menu:
- Enable Rename and Delete existing Folders from the Content tab on the Folders Feature set.
- Enable Delete from the Share options for the folder(s) that can be removed by the User/User Group.