HTML5 Video on Android
- Xibo for Android
- Install a White Label or a different Player version on DSDevices
- CEC Screen Power on/off with DSDevices
- Hardware Recommendations
- Philips Signage SoC Monitors
- Managing Storage on the Android Device
- Player Settings
- Players without an Internet Connection
- Remote Administration with SS Helper
- Restart Rooted Device with a Shell Command
- Running Xibo for Android
- Resolving Common Issues
- Error shown when I try to licence my Player?
- Player not updating from the CMS?
- I can see my Licence entry but the Player appears unlicensed?
- Error message - Player is missing dependencies
- My scheduled Layouts are not working?
- Layout won't play? Splash screen plays?
- Watchdog error message
- Troubleshooting for Administrators
- Audit Trail
- Log Information
- Player Logs
- Getting the Player Status
- Request Player Status via CMS - Logged in Players only
- Request Player Status directly from a Device
- Can I use the Xibo name / logo?
- Can I run a Xibo Player on Raspberry Pi?
- How can I increase the upload file size limit?
- How do Players communicate with the CMS?
- How many displays can Xibo support?
- How do I reset the Xibo_admin account password?
- Power On/Off for Players
- Testing with Xibo
- Why do I need a Default Layout?
- Xibo for Android FAQ's
- Autoplaying Embedded Youtube Videos
- Closing to Home screen
- Displaying Images
- Embedded TV
- External SD card not listed when running Banana-Pi
- Helper Command to change Time zone
- HTML5 Video
- Memory Notifications
- Menu not accessible
- SSL Support
- Using Portrait Displays
- Video wont play properly
On this page
HTML5 Video on Android
Support in a Web View
Android 4.3 and earlier, the WebView technology available to developers is based on the Android Browser.
Android 4.4 and later is based on Chromium (the engine behind Chrome). When running Xibo on 4.4 or higher the Web View implementation automatically changes to use the newest available technology.
<video> tag is understood by all versions of the android browser and chromium, however there are specific problems with each type of file you might want to play (remember that from 4.4 you need to look in the Chrome for Android column and not the Android Browser column):
Video tag: http://caniuse.com/#feat=video
All HTML5 support: http://caniuse.com/#compare=android+4.1,android+4.2-4.3,android+4.4,android+4.4.3&compare_cats=HTML5
In addition to the above the video must have a supported codec and container. Please see My Video won’t play properly
Xibo for Android
XfA uses a web view to play any embedded or web page media from the CMS. This means that any HTML5 video sent to Xibo for Android will come under the above terms.
We have seen HTML5 video work on so few devices that we cannot offer support for it. After extensive testing it appears to be down to the firmware on the device and the implementation of the web view on that firmware.
Depending on the required result, Xibo for Android does offer several potential workarounds. Many HTML5 video requirements are focused on providing a streaming video from a RTSP/HLS video stream. These types of streams are natively supported in Xibo for Android using the Local Video Module. This module needs to be enabled in the CMS by clicking on Modules under the Administration section and then can be added to a Layout as normal.
More complex HTML5 video requirements often relate to overlaying dynamic content on top of a video. For these requirements Xibo for Android does support layered, overlapping regions and as an alternative HTML5 video, it would be possible to have a video as a “background” in one Region and overlay other content on top. This achieves the same result as a lot of HTML5 video content in web pages. Support for this is not natively available in the CMS and it is necessary to manually position two regions on top of each other.